Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 13th, 2011- Friday the 13th continued....

Part 2 of this hectic day:

 This evening was the Belize Bird Rescue Fundraiser. This event was held at the British High Commission and was a silent auction as well as a cash bar. I helped Nikki all week with the planning and setting up and by the time Friday evening rolled around all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and go to sleep. Instead of doing that I spent most of the evening washing dishes, serving food, and smiling when I didn't want to.

 Although I was tired I was hanging in there, that is until the incident....

So all of the items for the auction were donated from local businesses etc. One of these items was a hand blown glass hummingbird. This thing was delicate and worth around $300. Needless to say we were all terrified of handling this thing. We didn't even take it out of the bubble wrap until the night of the event. So I'm sure you can all guess how this plays out. I went to pick up the bid sheet from the table and knocked it over and broke it right in half. It was awful, like a slow motion type moment where I had no idea what to do or how to react. As if it wasn't bad enough some jerk started laughing uncontrollably saying "priceless" over and over again so anyone in the room who wasn't aware of the situation was now fully aware. I could feel my face reddening and made the decision to go outside and hide. The next half an hour or so was a blur. I sat down awkwardly, could feel the tears making their way to my eyes, went to the kitchen where I cried out of embarassment, and eventually cleaned up the kitchen and then went to the car where I fell asleep. It was a terrible ending to the night and I think any other time I could've dealt with the situation but was just too tired at that point to handle it. I was told later that the person who won the hummingbird really didn't mind that it was broken because the money went to a good cause and also that someone could weld it back together. After going through the pics I had taken earlier in the evening I did notice that the bird was already broken by someone else who didn't bother to speak up. Anyway, not every day is meant to be a winner, and on a good note the rescue made enough money to start building the new aviary. And in the end it's not about me, it's about the birds!!

1 comment:

  1. My compliments for your blog and pictures included,I invite you in my photoblog "photosphera".


    Greetings from Italy