Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday May 29th, 2011-Day three of Mexico trip of doom

   I woke up at 11am today on the top bunk of a set of bunk beds very confused and wondering how I possibly held down so much alcohol and did not die. I vaguely recalled the evening before and as I became more awake I started to piece everything together. One thing I vividly remember is trying to climb into the top bunk and smashing my dirty foot into some guys face on another bed. Oops, sorry guy but that's what you get for staying in a hostel that costs $12 US a night. I then showered and laid back down until after 2 at which time Hayley informed me that if we didn't check out by two we would be charged a late fee to keep staying at this dump of a place.
  Once I had begun moving around the hang over really started to hit me. I think it was definitely possible that at 11am I had still been drunk. By two I was definitely not drunk anymore and my whole body was letting me know how much it hated me. Did I mention Hayley can't drive so I had to do all the driving. Ya, not fun. We decided to stop at Gran Cenote which is right outside of town to do some snorkeling and try to refresh ourselves before making the trek home. Very good choice on our part. Snorkeling the caves was amazing and the bird life was out of this world!

  After our afternoon of snorkeling we hit the road. At first it wasn't too bad. I was feeling better but not great. I had decided to definitely make it over the border before stopping for the night. Easier said than done. We stopped for gas and both realized we had no pesos on us and big surprise they didn't take cards! We then had to drive about a mile to the closest ATM with two boys from the gas station in the back of the truck to make sure we didn't just drive away. My favorite part was trying to explain to the man at the gas pump in horrible spanish that we had no money but we had a card. Also, as we are telling this guy we have no money their is some man trying to sell us juice on the other side of the car. After this little disaster I decided it was now my top priority to get over the border where I could use my Belize money and could speak english.

  Once again everything was going ok until we were about ten miles from the border. Their were no signs anywhere directing us to the flipping border, it was ridiculous. And of course because I was tired, grumpy, and had the worst headache of my life the first three ways we drove were wrong. We must have stopped at ten gas stations trying to get directions. The worst part is half the people just stared blankly at us even though I had the stupid phrasebook and knew I was asking where the border was. I was so close to my breaking point I thought for sure I was going to lose it. It ended up taking us an hour to get ten miles to the stupid border. At the border we met a fantastic fellow with gold teeth who helped us get through customs and of course tried to get our phone numbers. At this point it was dark out and I could only smile politely and tell him I was married. He kept calling me bird girl because I told him I worked with birds and then he asked if I could rescue him. The whole thing was so weird and I just kept staring at those shiny gold teeth wondering what it would look like if he had spinach in them. So weird.
  Once over the border we stopped in the first town and got a private room to ourselves with fans and electricity and everything! It was cheap too, I believe $30US for the both of us. Getting the room was quite interesting because the owner had apparently gotten drunk and passed out. Luckily their were some guys on the balcony who went and got him out of bed. He came down drunkenly and told me I was the most tired looking person that had ever come into his establishment. He then gave us directions to a chinese restaurant called Romantic Restaurant. We of course got lost and ended up going to a chinese restaurant called Rainbow Restaurant. Everything seemed good until they started blaring their crap music. My head once again felt like it was going to explode and the very thought of food made me green in the face. I just sat there staring at a little Christmas tree that they had failed to take down and at a huge man at the bar who laughed like a small child. Then some jerk pulled up literally right outside of the door and while waiting on his take out he proceeded to blare his crap music even louder than the restaurants with his doors wide open etc. I then proceeded to lay in the car while Hayley got the check.
 I can honestly say I have never slept so good in my life. I showered and as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out. Thank you  Sea Breeze Hotel for being clean and quiet and just what I needed after a day of driving through Mexico!
View from outside of the hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment